Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Longest Run To Date

I have been running but not as consistently as I would like to. But I am glad I am still running at least 3 times a week. When I take a few days off though I do feel it and need to get into more of a routine even if it is 2 miles a day.  The planning has begun to make this happen, and my goal is to be able to run 5-7 days a week.


When I started running I would run about 3 miles each run. I have been slowly working my way up to more miles. It hasn’t been that easy since in the middle of starting to run more this year I got new running shoes and they did take awhile to break in. I have been running more through a neighborhood so the cement ground has not been kind to my feet. I am finally getting used to it but it hasn’t been as nice as running on the sand at the beach! There are more people out and about walking dogs and doing some gardening so it’s nice to see people out when I run. Usually running on the beach there are not too many runners at 6am. So it’s great seeing people outside and having them say hi or even cheer me on. It definitely helps me get through my runs a lot more. 

I have done a couple of 5ks and a few 10ks but never have I ran further than a 10k so a couple of weeks ago I decided to see how far I could run without getting bored. One Saturday morning I took off like I normally do and was able to get in 7.27 miles in about an hour and a half. It felt ok not super good but not bad either. I wasn’t bored without music and I made it a game by going through different streets than I normally go so it wasn’t just a straight run one way and back. It was a windy path because I turned wherever I wanted to and backed track so I wouldn’t get lost. I wasn’t super fast because I didn’t know how long I was going to run for and towards mile 6 my feet started to hurt. It wasn’t painful just an annoyance and I am sure it is because I hadn’t run that length before. It felt so liberating to run that long and I know I can run even longer in the future. I am going to try running with music now because I think I will get bored after 8 miles of no music. I run by myself a lot so I think the music will help me go faster and just have an even more fun time since I am running in neighborhoods not on the beach.


Each week I run I am going to try and run a little bit more so that I can be ready to run a ½ marathon. I still haven’t signed up for a ½ marathon but I am sure I will keep looking till I found one that looks like one that is near the beach area or somewhere that has nice views. For now I will keep running and hopefully come up with a playlist that will last long enough for me to finish a ½ marathon. Any song suggestions would be wonderful!  Also any playlists that help you get into long runs, would rock!  

No comments:

Post a Comment